Skip to main content

How to cook shindi kadhi

One more delicacy from Sindhi cuisine , I was not much aware of Sindhi cuisine before I met Manju my lovely friend , we promised each other that I will teach her punjabi food and she will teach me Sindhi as she is superb at it ...so every week I will learn one exotic recipe and if I succeed to get that special twinkle in my daughters eyes I will share that recipe with you . All recipes I will share with you are tried and tested and I never post a single recipe before I see that twinkle of appreciation in my husband and daughters eyes. 
Though I have cheated a bit by replacing a few vegetables as my daughter doesn't like cluster beans at all so I put France beans instead . And drumsticks are not available in Kashmir so I skipped it . But you can put both .
Sindhi kadhi is a mixture of curd and gram flour with choice of vegetable and tastes little different from Punjabi kadhi as we put tamarind and tomatoes in it .

Sindhi kadhi ( vegetables in curd and gram flour curry) 



Ingredients:

4 tsp .....Gram flour (besan)
4 tbsp ....Oil
1 .............Drumstick
2 medium ...Potatoes
1/4 tsp........Asafetida
1/2 tsp ........Mustard seeds
1/4 tsp .........Fenugreek seeds (methi dana)
1/2 tsp..........Cumin seeds
8- 10 ............Curry leaves
8-10.............Ladyfingers (bhindi)
10-12...........Cluster beans (gawar falli)
2 medium ....Tomatoes,grated
1/4 tsp..........Turmeric powder
1/2 tsp..........Red chilli powder
1 tsp..............Ginger,grated
1 tsp .............Tamarind pulp
1/4 tsp ...........grated jaggery 
Salt as required

Method:

Heat 2 tbsp oil in a deep non stick pan. Cut drumstick into 1½ inch pieces. Cut potato into square cubes.

Add asafoetida, mustard seeds, fenugreek seeds, cumin seeds and curry leaves to the pan and sauté till fragrant.
Add gram flour and mix and sauté till fragrant. Add 1½ cups water and mix till smooth.
Add another 1½ cups water and mix. Heat 2 tbsp oil in a shallow non stick pan. Add bhindi and cluster beans and sauté. 
Add tomatoes to the gram flour mixture and mix well. Add turmeric powder, red chilli powder and salt and mix well. 

Add drumstick and potatoes and let them cook. Add ginger, bhindi( lady finger) and beans and mix well. When the vegetables are cooked, add tamarind pulp and mix well. Add jaggery and Cook for 1-2 minutes. Serve hot with steamed rice.

Tips..

1. Jaggery adds a special sweet taste to it . I like it this way if you want a spicy kadhi you can omit it.
2. Drumsticks and potatoes take long to cook , it's better to cook them separately .
3. Carefully add water to gram flour, by mixing it continuously as it tends to thicken very quickly and form lumps . 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Oats dosa with drumsticks sambhar

Oates Dosa

Health is wealth .....it is really important to be fit and healthy. I realised that, some change in lifestyle can help in maintaining a balanced diet. To apply it in daily routine...I have started a Diet food series.
There's nothing more inviting than hot South Indian breakfast: strong filter coffee, piping hot drumstick sambher with little bits of coconut, tasty coconut chutney gunpowder and golden-crisp Dosa! I love dosas and in fact I'm planning to make one today in breakfast. And it's not just because they taste divine but also because they're really fun to make: Right from grinding down the urad dal and rice, letting the white stuff ferment to running your ladle through the batter checking for lumps, it's almost therapeutic. After your pour the batter down a hot sizzling pan, even the wait to figure whether the dosa will stick or not is a delicious feeling....Dosa with healthy twist will make this delicious treat more interesting. My dietitian sugges…

Gur chana / jaggery coated roasted chickpeas

Very tasty, crunchy yet healthy snack for kids, full of protein . I often make this crunchy delight for munching. 
 Jaggery Coated roasted chickpeas 


Ingredients:

GURWALE SHALGAM ( SWEET AND TANGY TURNIPS) punjabi style

Turnips are called Shalgam in Punjabi/Hindi, Gonglu in Punjabi and Gogji in Kashmiri. They are mild in taste and absorb spices well. We love it in various forms. Shalgam is a winter vegetable and is a popular recipe from Punjabi cuisine. Shalgam (Turnip) belongs to the radish family. Shalgam ki sabzi is very good for health as it is very low in calories and fat, and a good source of fiber and several vitamins like Vitamin C, Vitamin B, VitaminB3, Vitamin B6. Gur is Hindi/Punjabi for jaggery.  This creamy version from Punjab is one of our favourites.
This recipe is from my mother in law's cook book , my mom In law was an excellent cook and being a panjabi, her excellency was panjabi cuisine. She was excellent at cooking all panjabi dishes like sarson ka saag, makkai ki roti, gur ke chawal  or any vegetable like turnip or kormas, . I have learnt almost all panjabi dishes from her and I really wanted to thank her for that , today whatever I make related to punjab reminds me of her . Lov…