You all know about my second love as I mentioned it earlier also,yes, ' baking ' and as you know I try to make everything possible at home and believe me it's fun . But all depends on how you want to go about it ...burger buns are easily available at any grocery store but I rarely use them as I like to make my own, if you also want to try it out at home follow all the steps carefully and you will get the same good looking buns ...
Vegetable Tikki Burger
For Home Made Burger Bun ...
400 gms.......All Purpose Flour/ Maida
Salt to taste
Warm Milk as required
1 1/2 tbsp ......Yeast
Oil to grease the bowl
2 tbsp............Milk for brushing on top
Sesame Seeds for Sprinkling on top
1.Take Warm milk in a bowl. Add in butter to that and allow it to melt down. Now add in sugar and yeast and mix well. Let it stand for 5-7 mins till it rises and fluff ups.(In my previous post I explained the importance of temperature at this stage , again just to remind you that temperature is one of the most important things when it comes to working with yeast. Too hot, and it will kill your yeast. Too cold and it won’t activate it or will make it slow. So very careful about temperature .)
2. Now take flour and salt in a mixing bowl. Pour the yeast water in it and mix well and form into a soft dough.
3. Now grease another large bowl with oil. Put this dough in that and cover it with a wet cloth. Leave it to rise for a couple of hours till they have risen in double.
4. Punch the air out of it and knead it for 5 mins. This step is very important the more effort you put in kneading more fluffy bun you will get .
5. Divide the dough into equal portion and form smooth balls out of it.
Arrange it in a Oiled parchment lined baking sheet and allow it to rise again for 30 mins. This is again a very important stage ' second rising' give some time to your dough balls to rise again double in size . You really need patience when you are making bread . Making good fluffy bread is an art .
6. Preheat the oven to 220 Degree C/ 450 Degree F.
7. Brush the risen dough with milk and sprinkle some sesame seeds on it.
8. Bake it for 20-30 mins till the top gets nice colour.
9. Remove it and You can brush the top with some butter if you want and use it accordingly.
For Vegetable Tikki Burger
Ingredients for pattie
4 medium .....Potatoes,boiled and mashed
1/2 cup..........Green peas,shelled
1 inch piece...Ginger,chopped
Salt to taste
1 cup .............Refined flour (maida)
1 cup..............Bread crumbs
4 ....................cheese slice
Oil to deep fry
1. Boil carrots, cauliflower, green peas and French beans. Cool and then mince finely. Add mashed potatoes, ginger, green chillies and salt and mix well.
2. Divide the mixture into four equal portions and shape each portion into a round pattie.
3. Make a thick batter by mixing refined flour and water. Dip each pattie in the batter and then coat with breadcrumbs.
4. Heat sufficient oil in a deep pan and deep fry the patties on medium heat until golden brown.
5. Drain and place them on an absorbent paper. Cut bread buns into half (horizontally).
6. Bake in hot oven/ roast on griddle until a little crisp. Apply butter, put the vegetable tikki in between the bread buns, top with a slice of onion, tomato and cucumber and cheese slice . serve immediately.