Tandoori gobi or you can say barbecued cauliflower is an excellent snack or starter recipe. you can use it either way dry or with gravy ..choice is all yours !!! same marination you can use for any vegetable like Tandoori aloo, Tandoori paneer , Tandoori mushroom etc. etc.. just tickle your taste buds and enjoy ...
Tandoori gobhi tikka masala
Ingredients for the marinade
500gm cauliflower , 3 onion big , 2 capsicum
!/2 cup hung yogurt
4-5 cloves of garlic
1" piece ginger
2-3 green chillis
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/4 tsp red chilli powder
1/2 tsp garam masala(or grind cloves, cardamom,cinnamon)
1/2 tsp dry fenugreek seeds, powdered or 1 tb.sp kasuri methi
1/2 tsp cumin powder
1/2 tsp coriander powder
1 1/2 tsp besan ( chickpea flour)
juice of 1 lime(about 1 tb.sp.)
orange-red food color(optional)
1/2 tsp salt or to taste
How to proceed ..
1 : we need to use thick yogurt or you have to strain the yogurt. you can use a cheesecloth/muslin and tie the yogurt in it and let the whey drain out from it. this may take 45 mins to 1 hour. or use a fine mesh strainer.the first step would be to drain the yogurt.
2 : Put all the ingredients in a blender jar with yogurt and blend on high speed to get a smooth paste.
3 : boil water with salt. add the florets and cook for 3-4 minutes. keep them in the hot water for 7-8 minutes more.
4 :Mix well and keep aside for around 10 to 15 min. Later drain water and pet dry cauliflower .
5 : Roast gram flour/besan in a pan. Roast till it becomes golden brown and starts giving a nutty aroma. Add gram flour in curd paste .
6 : Add the gobi pieces in the marination and gently coat them with the marination.
and keep aside for 1 hour.
7 : You can also refrigerate the marination and keep it overnight in the fridge. after 1 hour, gently again mix the whole mixture.
8 : Pre heat an oven to 200 degrees C. on a grilling rack, place the marinated gobi. keep a tray or plate below to avoid a messy kitchen surface.
9 : Place the tray in the oven. I kept the large florets on the rack and the smaller ones on an aluminium foil covered tray below. otherwise also, cover the bottom tray with aluminum foil or brown paper or butter paper so that juices or the marination do not fall on the tray.
10 : Grill in the oven for 20-25 minutes till the gobi florets are cooked. you can also char them a little if you want. but don’t overcook as they become dry. You can use tandoori cauliflower as starters also with onion rings and charcoal capsicum .
11 : Coming back to this recipe florets are ready to use now .
For masala ...
1. Roughly chop the blanched onions and make a fine paste. make a smooth puree
of the blanched tomatoes too.
2. In the same pan, heat 2 tbsp oil and then add the onion paste.
3. Stir often and saute till the onions paste turns golden.
4. Add ginger garlic paste and saute till the raw aroma of ginger-garlic goes away.
5. Add the tomato puree. stir well and saute till you see fat leaving sides of the masala.
6. Now add all the dry spice powders – turmeric, red chili powder, coriander powder
and garam masala/tandoori masala.
7. stir well so that the spices are incorporated in the masala paste evenly.
8. Now remove the pan from the fire. add beaten fresh curd/yogurt. removing the
pan from fire, won’t allow the yogurt to curdle. use full fat and fresh curd.
9. Stir well, add water and salt. stir again.
10. Simmer for 5 to 6 minutes or till the gravy thickens and you see fat floating on the top. you can keep the consistency from medium to slightly thick. the consistency can be altered by adding more or less water.
11. Beat cream and curd together and add in gravy, add kasuri methi (dry fenugreek leaves). stir well and simmer on a low flame for a minute. check the taste and add more salt or cream if you prefer. you can also about 1/2 to 1 tsp of sugar for a light sweet taste.
12. Then add tandoori gobi ( cauliflower ) along with the veggies.
13. Serve tandoori gobi with romali roti .