Macaroni has long been regarded a kid-favorite, this recipe bring this pasta to a family level. Indian style cooked macaroni topped with mashed potatoes recipe for a quick and easy dinner tonight.
Macaroni casserole topped with mashed potatoes
For first layer ... Macaroni layer
Macaroni Pasta – 2 cups
Carrots – 1/2 cup, finely chopped
Lemon Juice – 2 tsp
Red Chilli Powder – 1 tblsp
Salt as per taste
Oil – 4 to 5 tsp
Tomato Sauce – 2 to 3 tblsp
Optional (add more vegetables if preferred):
Onions – 1/4 cup, chopped
Capsicum – 1/4 cup, chopped
Mushroom - 1/4 cup, chopped
Spring Onions – 2 tblsp, to garnish
1. Heat a pan of salted water over medium flame.
2. Add the macaroni pasta and cook until aldente.
3. Drain well and keep aside.
4. Heat oil in a pan over medium flame.
5. Add onion and green chillies stir well, add capsicum and mushroom and sauté.
6. Add the carrots, macaroni, tomato sauce, red chilli powder and stir well.
7. Cook for a minute or two.
8. Remove from flame and add lemon juice.
9. Mix well and garnish with coriander leaves.
10. Grease a 13 by 9 by 2-inch square baking dish with 1 tablespoon of butter and set aside.
11. Now set a layer of cooked macaroni pasta at the bottom of the dish.
Second layer ....cheese layer
For this you need four cheese slices.
Place cheese slices on the top of macaroni layer so that they cover it properly . As shown in picture .
For the third layer ....mashed potatoes layer
For mashed potatoes
1 tablespoon butter
6 Russet boiled and pealed potatoes
1 cup whole milk
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, melted
1 1/2 cups grated mozzarella
1 cup freshly grated Parmesan
2 green chilli chopped
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 tablespoons plain dry bread crumbs
Pressure cook the potatoes in a salted water until they are very tender, about 15 minutes. Drain; return the potatoes to the glass pot and mash well. Mix in the milk and melted butter. Mix in the mozzarella and 3/4 cup of the Parmesan. Season, to taste, with salt and pepper. Transfer the potatoes to the prepared baking dish. Stir the bread crumbs and remaining 1/4 cup of Parmesan in a small bowl to blend. Sprinkle the bread crumb mixture over the mashed potatoes. Recipe can be prepared up to this point 6 hours ahead of time; cover and chill.
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
Now topped pasta with mashed potatoes and bake it till it turn light golden brown.