Skip to main content

Karonde Mirchi Ki Achari Sabji ( Pickled Natal plum And Green Chilli)

Whenever I am upset for some reason my husband holds my hand and say these golden lines " Enjoy the little moments in life one day you will look back and realize they were the big things." He is so true whenever I look back and go down the memory lane I visualise all those special sweet moments which we have spend together and with our friends those late night chit chats, unplanned potlucks, picnics.... 

Food and memories go very strongly together and for me personally of the strong memories I have, ...do have a food element attached to them. Food induces a nostalgia in me like nothing else can. So this time when I visited Rajasthan in summers my food memories took me years back when one of my old aunt use to cook special Rajasthani food for me specially the chatpate mirchi karonde ki sabji and gutty curry ....I asked her so many times about how she makes this wonderful stuff ...and always got same answer with love'.

So this time in summers when I saw karonde with one of the vendors, I stopped the car and bought some. This picture i have downloaded from net just to show you how it looks like.



A karonde is called Natal plum in english ..Carissa carandas and its a berry like tart fruit which grows in the Himalayas. It is very rich in Iron and Vitamin C,  in the north the people often used this to make a simple karonde and mirchi ki sabji but pickles, chutneys and even jams can be made using it since its also high in pectin.


 Karonde And Mirchi Ki Sabji

Karonda Mirchi Ki Sabji (Pickled Natel Plum And Greenchilli )

Ingredients : 

200gms karonde (Natal plum)
200gms green chillies
1 tbsp oil
1/2 tsp turmeric 
Pinch of hing
Salt to taste

Making karonde mirchi is so easy to make. Wash and clean the karonde well and then horizontally slit them into two, add equal amounts of green chillies to it and mix.


Heat a little oil in a pan, add a generous pinch of hing and then add the karonde and mirchi...add turmeric, Stir and add salt to taste. Cook covered till karonde and mirchi are both tender for about 10-12 minutes. Eat it with a namak and ajwain ka parantha or as a side with a complete meal.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Oats dosa with drumsticks sambhar

Oates Dosa

Health is wealth .....it is really important to be fit and healthy. I realised that, some change in lifestyle can help in maintaining a balanced diet. To apply it in daily routine...I have started a Diet food series.
There's nothing more inviting than hot South Indian breakfast: strong filter coffee, piping hot drumstick sambher with little bits of coconut, tasty coconut chutney gunpowder and golden-crisp Dosa! I love dosas and in fact I'm planning to make one today in breakfast. And it's not just because they taste divine but also because they're really fun to make: Right from grinding down the urad dal and rice, letting the white stuff ferment to running your ladle through the batter checking for lumps, it's almost therapeutic. After your pour the batter down a hot sizzling pan, even the wait to figure whether the dosa will stick or not is a delicious feeling....Dosa with healthy twist will make this delicious treat more interesting. My dietitian sugges…

Gur chana / jaggery coated roasted chickpeas

Very tasty, crunchy yet healthy snack for kids, full of protein . I often make this crunchy delight for munching. 
 Jaggery Coated roasted chickpeas 


Ingredients:

GURWALE SHALGAM ( SWEET AND TANGY TURNIPS) punjabi style

Turnips are called Shalgam in Punjabi/Hindi, Gonglu in Punjabi and Gogji in Kashmiri. They are mild in taste and absorb spices well. We love it in various forms. Shalgam is a winter vegetable and is a popular recipe from Punjabi cuisine. Shalgam (Turnip) belongs to the radish family. Shalgam ki sabzi is very good for health as it is very low in calories and fat, and a good source of fiber and several vitamins like Vitamin C, Vitamin B, VitaminB3, Vitamin B6. Gur is Hindi/Punjabi for jaggery.  This creamy version from Punjab is one of our favourites.
This recipe is from my mother in law's cook book , my mom In law was an excellent cook and being a panjabi, her excellency was panjabi cuisine. She was excellent at cooking all panjabi dishes like sarson ka saag, makkai ki roti, gur ke chawal  or any vegetable like turnip or kormas, . I have learnt almost all panjabi dishes from her and I really wanted to thank her for that , today whatever I make related to punjab reminds me of her . Lov…